Pages

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Unexpected Bro Trip III (continued 3)

A great representation of the weekend
After some congratulations to some fellow team mates and packing we were on our way down the windy road towards the airport.  The drive up to the resort is an hour full of switchbacks and is perfect for getting car sick because of this I quickly tried to get to sleep…

An hour and a half later…

I woke up and we were in the parking lot of the airport, my nap worked out perfectly.  We hopped out of the rental and started the long haul throughout the airport trying to find our flight.  It is hard to get your normal luggage around an airport but imagine having normal luggage along with four pairs of skis and all your ski clothes, it is not fun to say the least.  Once we’re settled in we only had about an hour long flight to Solana Beach, California.

An hour later…

I fell asleep again on the way to California due to the fact that ski racing tires you out in every possible way!  Once I opened my eyes and looked out the window I saw the plane defending and I heard the captain come on the intercom and say five minutes till landing.  I was once again very satisfied with my nap and the timing I had.  It was good to see the sun shining and to feel the humid air on my skin.  But isn’t it always good to get a change of scenery, especially after a hard day?  The drive from the airport to my friends house was only about another half an hour and this time I decided to stay awake.  The highway was lined with amazing views, houses, and everything else you can think of.  It was definitely weird to go from a ski town straight to a beach town.

We arrived at his house, threw all of our stuff in the bunk room and went straight down to the beach to jump in the water.  When we were down at the water Shane and I took a selfie and sent our ski coach a picture saying, “Warm welcome from Solana.” to get on his nerves that he is on a five hour road trip while we are swimming in the ocean.  The water was pretty cold but not to cold to get used to.  It was a short swim because both Shane and I were exhausted from our weekend so we decided to head back to the house and relax.

Next day…


We woke up the next day super stoked to go surfing and chilling around town all day.  After we ate breakfast we jumped into our wet suits, grabbed the surf boards and walked down to the beach.  The waves were not that good but good enough to catch a couple.  Shane and I were out there for around an hour with barely any luck besides Shane catching a couple small ones.  Finally, a wave came in and both Shane and I started patting in hoping to catch the wave.  The wave formed some more and we stood up catching some speed down the front of the wave.  It is such a good feeling to be on a wave, one of the best feelings you can get I would say, next to skiing deep powder of course!  From then on we dubbed that the “Bro Wave” and the rest of the day we lounged around until we had to jump back on the plane to get back to school and those dreaded responsibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment