Pages

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Championship Weekend III

Most likely what I looked like
The next day after the Super-G (previous post) was much like the last.  I woke up around six fifteen put on my long johns, sweats, sweatshirt and got all my gear so I could put it in the vans.  After that I went to the continental breakfast and fueled up before the day and talked with kids from different regions such as California, Montana, and Alaska.  I then jumped in the vans at seven and slept all the way up to the mountain which was about a half an hour away.  Once I got up there I put all my stuff on, clicked into my trainers and went up chair lift with my skis on my shoulder.

The GS (giant slalom smaller than Super-G and bigger than Slalom) was located on a different hill and it was super foggy and depressing at the time we were starting. Ski racing in the fog is very hard to do because of speeds and how quickly you have to react and when you can't see it is hard to react fast.  I was lucky enough to be the third person to run the course but I was also very unlucky for that very same reason.  I inspected the course and got just like the day before into my zone.  If you have been reading my last couple posts you will see that ski racing is a very repetitive and tedious sport to listen to and even do at sometimes.  The men were running before the women so I was starting very soon after my inspection.  Once I lapped around the forerunners were in the gate, forerunners are people that test out the course to make sure that it is running okay before the actual racers get into it.  I stripped down to my speed suit, did my movement prep and clicked into my race skis.  I was determined to win this race and I was also prepared.  GS had been my best even all year and I had won two out of the three GS races throughout the year.
Me at previous race (Left, original)

Racer Ready? Ten Seconds… Five… Four… Three.. Two.. I pulled out of the gate.  I was linking my turns from gate to gate, putting all of my body weight onto my outside ski.  I was having a great run,  I got to the first delay (two gates that you ski through) I took a straight line and gained way to much speed through it.  If I could hold onto that speed I could win the race but the forces overcame me and I was on my ass once again before I knew it.  My ski popped off and I was on the side of the run in instant despondency.  I hit my pole on the ground and it snapped straight in half and I skied off cursing under my breath and just about to breakdown into a temper tantrum.  I was completely fed up and was so pissed off which was a very good thing for the next day.  My anger was going to be my inspiration to win the next day which is Slalom.


To Be Continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment